Current:Home > MyNiger junta accuses France of amassing forces for a military intervention after the coup in July -VisionFunds
Niger junta accuses France of amassing forces for a military intervention after the coup in July
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 12:02:43
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Niger’s new military leaders accused France of amassing forces for a possible military intervention in the country following the coup in July. French President Emmanuel Macron said Sunday that he would only take action at the demand of deposed Nigerien leader Mohamed Bazoum.
Niger’s junta spokesman, Maj. Amadou Abdramane, said that France is also considering collaborating in such an intervention with the Economic Community of West African States, a regional bloc known as ECOWAS.
“France continues to deploy its forces in several ECOWAS countries as part of preparations for an aggression against Niger,” Abdramane said late Saturday in a statement broadcast on state television.
Macron said he wouldn’t directly respond to the junta’s claim when asked about it after the Group of 20 summit.
“If we redeploy anything, it will only be at the demand of Bazoum and in coordination with him, not with those people who are holding a president hostage,” he said.
Macron, however, added that France “fully” supports the position of ECOWAS, which has said it’s considering a military intervention as an option to reinstate Bazoum as president.
Since toppling Bazoum, the junta in Niger, a former French colony, has leveraged anti-French sentiment among the population — asking the French ambassador and troops to leave — to shore up its support in resistance to regional and international pressure to reinstate the president. The country had been a strategic partner of France and the West in the fight against growing jihadi violence in the conflict-ridden Sahel region, the arid expanse below the Sahara Desert.
The junta spokesman said that France has deployed military aircraft and armored vehicles in countries like Ivory Coast, Senegal and Benin for such an aggression, a claim that The Associated Press couldn’t independently verify.
“This is why the National Council for the Protection of the Fatherland and the transitional government launch a solemn appeal to the great people of Niger to be vigilant and never to demobilize until the inevitable departure of French troops from our territory,” he said.
French military spokesperson Col. Pierre Gaudilliere, meanwhile, said Thursday that there is now “a little less” than its 1,500 troops in Niger who had been working with Nigerien security forces to beat back the jihadi violence.
All French activities have been suspended since the coup, “therefore, declarations that have been made (earlier by the French) are about exploring what we’re going to do with these capabilities,” Gaudilliere said.
___
Angela Charlton contributed to this report from Paris.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Eva Mendes Defends Ryan Gosling From Barbie Hate After Oscar Nomination
- Russia fires genetics institute head who claimed humans once lived for 900 years
- Robert De Niro Gets Emotional Over Becoming a Dad Again to 9-Month-Old Baby Gia
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- YouTuber accused topping 150 mph on his motorcycle on Colorado intestate wanted on multiple charges
- Score 2 Le Creuset Baking Dishes for $99 & More Sizzlin' Cookware Deals
- Housing is now unaffordable for a record half of all U.S. renters, study finds
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Ring drops feature that allowed police to request your doorbell video footage
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- States can't figure out how to execute inmates. Alabama is trying something new.
- 'Griselda' cast, release date, where to watch Sofía Vergara star as Griselda Blanco in new series
- Step Inside Pregnant Jessie James Decker’s Nature-Themed Nursery for Baby No. 4
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Arizona GOP Chairman Jeff DeWit resigns after leaked tape showed him floating a job for Kari Lake to skip Senate race
- Philadelphia prisoner being held on murder charge escapes, police warn public
- Melanie, singer-songwriter of ‘Brand New Key’ and other ‘70s hits, dies at 76
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Water service restored to rural Tennessee town a week after winter storm, sub-freezing temperatures
Man sentenced to death for arson attack at Japanese anime studio that killed 36
Florida board bans use of state, federal dollars for DEI programs at state universities
Bodycam footage shows high
Nicole Kidman leads an ensemble of privileged, disconnected American 'Expats'
Billy Idol talks upcoming pre-Super Bowl show, recent Hoover Dam performance, working on a new album
Ted Bundy tried to kill her, but she survived. Here's the one thing she's sick of being asked.